Softball vs. Tufts
Wednesday, April 10 | 3 p.m.
Alumni Field | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Tufts will meet for the 40th and 41st times on Wednesday in a series that dates back to 1987. The Beavers are 13-26 in the all-time series but own a win over the Jumbos in each of the last three seasons.
• Ali Reilly '18 tossed a complete-game shutout and the Beavers took advantage of three Tufts errors on the way to a 3-0 win on April 23, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Reilly struck out four and scattered six hits for Babson, which got an RBI single from senior Alex Corrigan to take the lead in the fourth. Sophomore Kristi Van Meter fanned nine in five innings for the Jumbos.
LAST TUFTS WIN
• Junior Jamie Stevens scored on an error with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to help the Jumbos defeat the Beavers, 5-4, in a game that was halted due to darkness on April 17 and finished six days later in Babson Park.
• Sophomore Reegan Coleman singled twice and drove in three runs for Tufts, while junior Victoria Casey had two doubles and three RBI for the Beavers.
SCOUTING THE JUMBOS
• Tufts (19-4) is coming off an 8-0 five-inning win over Bowdoin in the finale of a three-game series on Saturday.
• Van Meter struck out eight and tossed the first perfect game of her career, while Maggie Lebinski homered and drove in four runs for the Jumbos.
• Sophomore Emma Della Volpe is batting .351 with 10 extra-base hits and 14 runs scored, Stevens is hitting .344 with five doubles, five homers and 17 runs batted in, and junior Casey Maggoire checks in at .344 with 10 doubles, two homers and 17 RBI.
• Van Meter (10-1) has a 1.44 ERA to go along with 74 strikeouts in 63.1 innings, while sophomore Kristina Haghdan has gone 6-2 with a 2.50 ERA and 48 strikeouts in 47.2 innings of work.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (11-9) has won eight of its last 11 games after earning a split with a 5-3 victory in game two of Saturday's doubleheader at WPI.
• Senior Josephine Mares went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI, while junior Jacqueline Paul was 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI for the Beavers, who finished with 12 hits.
• Mares is batting .446 with six extra-base hits and 19 runs scored, senior Ashley Tango is hitting .406 with 10 extra-base hits and 13 runs batted in, and Paul enters the week with a .404 average to go along with eight doubles and 11 RBI.
• Junior Brooke Stock is 6-4 with a 2.78 ERA and 63 strikeouts in 63.0 innings, while classmate Katie Gademsky (4-4) has won two straight starts and has a 4.53 ERA in 46.1 innings of work.
TO SCORE OR NOT TO SCORE
• The Beavers are batting .423, averaging more than 12 hits and scoring 8.55 runs per game in their 11 victories this spring.
• In nine losses though, the Green and White is batting just .215 as a team and is scoring just 1.33 runs.
PRODUCTION AT THE TOP
• The 1-2-3 hitters in Babson's lineup – Mares, Tango, and Paul – combined to hit .605 (23-for-38) with nine extra-base hits, 14 RBI and 14 runs scored in four games over the weekend.
• Mares hit her first career home run, a grand slam in game two against Smith on Friday, Tango recorded two doubles and two triples, and Paul put togheter four straight multi-hit games.
STREAKING INTO THE WEEK
• Both Corrigan and junior Tori Roche have at least one hit in six consecutive outings entering Monday's twin bill with Tufts.
• Corrigan is batting .389 (7-for-18) with five RBI during this her streak, while Roche is hitting. 470 (8-for-17) with four doubles, five RBI and four runs scored.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are 9-1 on the year when scoring in the first inning.