Alpine Skiing at Whiteface Moutain
Friday-Saturday, January 24-25 | Lake Placid, N.Y. | 9:30 a.m.
• The MacConnell Division regular season hits the midway point as Babson and its league rivals descend upon Whiteface Mountain for the third straight weekend of competition beginning on Friday.
• The Beavers and their league rivals will compete in the giant slalom on both Friday and Saturday.
LAST TIME AT WHITEFACE MOUNTAIN
• Seniors Jack Blanchard, MacIntyre Henderson and Elizabeth Baer all recorded a pair of podium finishes as Babson's men and women each recorded a victory in the GS last January at Whiteface.
• Blanchard and Henderson posted consecutive one-two finishes with each skier registering a victory as the Beavers won the opening men's race of the weekend and finished third on day two.
• Baer came in third on back-to-back days and junior Sarah Mangiacotti recorded her first collegiate victory as the Babson women came in first on day two of the GS.
SCOUTING THE BABSON WOMEN
• The Beavers are coming off of a pair of third-place showings in the slalom at Proctor Ski Area last weekend.
• Mangiacotti came in fifth and seventh, while Baer posted back-to-back 10th-place results for the Beavers.
• Mangiacotti, who has recorded four straight top-seven finishes to start the year, and Baer, who owns for top-10 showings, are currently third and sixth, respectively, in the MacConnell Division standings.
• First-year Lauren Abdow matched her best finish of the year in last weekend's second race (eighth) and enters the weekend in 11th place in the league standings.
SCOUTING THE BABSON MEN
• After coming in third for the third race in a row last Friday, the Green and White came in second in last week's final slalom race at Proctor.
• First-year Jack Beney (6th, 5th), sophomore Victor Wiacek (7th, 4th) and rookie Liam Mooney (10th, 8th) all recorded a pair of top-10 results for the Beavers.
• Blanchard, who did not compete in any of the first three races of the year, came in sixth last Saturday in his season debut.
• Beney enters the weekend in third place in the MacConnell Division standings, while Mooney (8th), Wiacek (12th) and first-year Zachary Roman (17th) are all among the top 20 overall.
• The Beavers, who are well on their way to qualifying for February's USCSA Eastern Regional Championships, are hoping to return to Whiteface in March for the USCSA National Championships.
COMFORTABLE ON THE COURSE
• Blanchard owns three podium finishes and five top-four results over his last five giant slalom races at Whiteface, while Henderson has two podium results and has not finished worse than 12th during this sam stretch.
• Her back-to-back third-place results last winter gives Baer five top-five finishes in seven career GS races at Whiteface.
MACCONNELL DIVISION TRENDS
• The Castleton men have won each of this season's first four races, while the Spartans' women's squad has won three straight and 11 of the last 12 they've competed going back to the start of last year.