No. 11 Field Hockey vs. Smith
Saturday October 13 | 12:00 p.m.
MacDowell Field | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Smith will meet for the 40th time on Saturday afternoon in a series that dates back to 1987.
• The Beavers are 19-19-1 all-time against the Pioneers and have won 16 of the last 18 matches between the teams.
LAST SMITH WIN
• Jenny Estes scored 2:17 into overtime as the Pioneers used three unanswered goals to rally for a 3-2 win over Babson on October 11, 2014, in Northampton, Mass.. Caroline Malone '15 and Megan Jones each scored to give the Beavers a 2-0 lead just over 22 minutes into the contest.
SCOUTING THE PIONEERS
• Smith (8-4, 3-1 NEWMAC) has won three straight games after picking up a 3-1 win to Lasell on Thursday.
• Senior Bayleigh Bogan logged a goal and an assist, while juniors Sammie Pavlov and Vivian Nelson each chipped in with a goal for the Pioneers, who led 2-0 less than 16 minutes into the match.
• Pavlov (9-0-18) has a goal in three straight games, junior Morgan Handwerger (6-3-15) has one assist in league play, and junior Anna Ballou (4-4-12) has two goals and two assists over the last two outings.
• First-year goalkeeper Channy Cornell has posted a 1.55 goals against average, a .625 save percentage and two shutouts in 12 starts.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 11 Babson (11-3, 5-0 NEWMAC) earned its fifth-straight win after downing the University of New England, 3-1, on Tuesday.
• Tango posted two goals and Gilman chipped in with the game-winning marker early in the second half for the Beavers, who outshot the Nor'easters 17-2
• Junior Tori Roche (18-5-41) is tied for ninth in Division III in points per game, Tango (12-12-36) is tied for third in the country in assists, and Gilman (10-4-26) has scored four goals in five conference matches.
• Senior Lauren Drakeley (3-6-12) leads the team with three defense saves and first-year goalkeeper Cassidy Riley boasts a 1.00 goals against average and a .750 save percentage to go along with four shutouts in 14 starts.
• Babson College and its fellow NEWMAC field hockey programs will be participating in the fifth annual Play4theCure Day as part of October's National Breast Cancer Awareness Month on Saturday. To support Play4theCure and the National Foundation for Cancer Research and learn more about the fight against cancer, visit NFCR.org.
• The Beavers became the league's first team to book their spot in the NEWMAC Tournament with last Saturday's win at Clark.
• The Green and White enters the weekend holding a game and a half lead in the standings over MIT, Smith and WPI, who are all 3-1 in conference play
• The Beavers are ranked second in Division III in goals per game (4.86), fourth in points per game (12.71), fourth in scoring margin (3.79) and sixth in assists per game (3.00).
• The team's scoring average is currently the best in program history by nearly a goal, and the Green and White is on pace to break the 2005 squad's record of 91 goals in a season.
• Tango has produced at least one point in 10 consecutive NEWMAC regular season games going back to last October, while Roche has registered a point in seven straight league matches.
• The duo has combined for 14 goals and six assists in conference play this fall.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers have allowed one goal or less in 33 of its last 34 games against NEWMAC foes dating back to 2015.