Women's Basketball vs. WPI
Saturday, February 2 | 2 p.m.
Staake Gymnasium | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and WPI will meet for the 60th time in a series that dates back to 1976-77. The Beavers are 34-25 all-time against the Engineers but dropped both matchups last season.
• Stasha Greenalch '18 score the go-ahead hoop with 46 seconds left in overtime as second-seeded WPI defeated third-seeded Babson, 64-56, in a NEWMAC Tournament semifinals on February 24, 2018, in Northampton, Mass.
• Senior Payton Ouimette finished with 14 points and 14, while junior Jacqueline Jozefick came off the bench to score 11 points and pull down eight boards for the Beavers. Ama Biney had 14 points, 10 rebounds and three steals for the Engineers.
LAST BABSON WIN
• Giovanna Pickering '17 scored a game-high 24 points and Taylor Russell '17 added 16 as top-seeded Babson defeated third-seeded WPI, 65-46, in the NEWMAC Tournament championship game at Staake Gymnasium on February 26, 2017.
• Junior Katherine Tamulionis added 12 points and Jennifer Narlee '17 led all players with 11 rebounds for the Beavers. Biney scored 11 points for the Engineers.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• WPI (8-11, 3-8 NEWMAC) snapped its six-game losing streak by beating Coast Guard 67-44 on Wednesday night.
• First-year Bailey Savage scored 15 points on 6-of-12 shooting and senior Alyssa Paul added 10 points for the Engineers, who shot 47.2 percent on the night.
• Junior Spencer Vinson (10.6 pts, 7.8 reb) is shooting 44.4 percent, Paul (7.2 pts, 2.4 reb) is averaging 10.9 points over the last seven games, and Savage is contributing 7.1 points and 3.3 boards.
• WPI ranks 29th in Division III in scoring defense allowing just 52.4 points per game.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (17-3, 10-2 NEWMAC) saw its 15-game winning streak come to an end on Wednesday as it suffered a 66-52 loss at Emerson.
• Ouimette scored 13 points and pulled down 13 rebounds, while junior Emily Bonifacic scored 13 points to go along with seven boards and four assists for the Beavers, who shot a season-low 31.7 percent.
• Ouimette (14.6 pts, 11.9 reb, 2.5 ast) ranks 18th nationally with 12 double-doubles, Bonifacic (10.9 pts, 7.0 reb) is shooting 51.2 percent from the floor, and Tamulionis is averaging 10.9 pts and 2.1 assists.
• Babson ranks 11th in Division III in rebounding margin (+12.7) and is averaging a league-best 72.7 points per game.
TURNING THE PAGE
• Despite suffering its first loss since December 1 on Wednesday, the Green and White is 16-1 following a loss since January of 2016 and has not dropped back-to-back games since falling to Bates on December 20 and Colby on December 30, 2017.
• The Beavers' last back-to-back losses in NEWMAC play came back in 2015 when they fell to Coast Guard on January 7 and Springfield on January 11.
SUCCESS AGAINST THE ENGINEERS
• Senior Elizabeth Lane has scored in double figures in three of her last five games against WPI, which includes scoring 10 points in both of last year's contests.
• Ouimette shot 56.5 percent and averaged 14.5 points and 14.5 rebounds in two games last winter.
HOME, SWEET HOME
• The Green and White begins a three-game home stand on Saturday that includes games against No. 3/4 Tufts and Springfield next week.
• Babson has won nine in a row inside Staake Gymnasium and has gone 11-1 at home since falling to WPI late in the regular season last year.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are 13-0 this season and 50-5 going back to the 2016-17 campaign when leading after the first quarter.