Women's Basketball vs. Wheaton
Thursday, January 10 | 6 p.m.
Staake Gymnasium | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Wheaton will meet for the 63rd time on Thursday night in a series that dates back to the 1977-78 season. The Beavers are 46-16 all-time against the Lyons and have won the last seven contests between the teams.
• Senior Payton Ouimette and junior Emily Bonifacic both scored 14 points as visiting Babson rolled past Wheaton, 97-30, on December 4 in Norton, Mass.
• First-year Alexis Doherty scored a career-high 11 points on 5-of-8 shooting, while sophomore Nicole Hiller added 10 points for the Beavers, who forced 29 turnovers and held the Lyons to 21.6 percent shooting.
LAST WHEATON WIN
• Abbie Brickley poured in 31 points and the Lyons finished 13-of-26 from three-point range to edge the Beavers, 77-72, on February 21, 2015, in Babson Park.
• Rebecca Arnone scored 14 points and Shoemaker recorded a school-record 10 blocks for Wheaton, while Erin Young '15 made five three-pointers and scored 18 points to lead the Beavers.
SCOUTING THE LYONS
• Wheaton (6-7, 2-4 NEWMAC) dropped its second consecutive conference game, suffering a 79-49 loss to MIT on Tuesday night.
• Sophomore Mikyla Pucci scored 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting, while first-year Mia Lenn recorded nine points and three assists for the Lyons, who trailed by 21 at the half.
• Pucci (15.2 pts, 5.3 reb) is second in the NEWMAC in scoring, junior Sara McLeman (7.2 pts, 4.7 reb) is shooting a team-best 48.8 percent, and junior Natalie Wind is contributing 7.2 points and 2.2 boards.
• Wheaton is shooting 40.2 percent as a team, but is committing 19.6 turnovers per outing.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (11-2, 5-1 NEWMAC) extended its winning streak to nine with a 73-56 victory over Emerson on Tuesday night.
• Ouimette recorded her ninth double-double of the year with 16 points and 14 rebounds, senior Téa Spellacy contributed 12 points and Bonifacic added 10 points for the Beavers, who outscored the Lions 17-5 at the free throw line
• Ouimette (15.0 pts, 12.7 reb) ranks 17th in Division III in rebounding, Bonifacic (10.8 pts, 6.2 reb) is shooting a team-best 52.5 percent, and junior Katherine Tamulionis (10.2 pts, 2.5 reb) has at least two steals in four of the last six games.
• The Green and White ranks 18th nationally in rebounding margin (+11.0) and is forcing 17.1 turnovers per contest.
• The Beavers' substitutes are averaging 24.8 points per game and scored a season-high 50 in December's win over Wheaton.
• The Green and White got 26 points from its bench in Tuesday's victory over Emerson, highlighted by a nine-point, seven-rebound performance from junior Jacqueline Jozefick. Senior Bianca Tomassini and sophomores Katie Jones and Christina Bonfiglio also contributed five points apiece.
OUIMETTE EARNS D3HOOPS.COM TEAM OF THE WEEK HONOR
• Following her second consecutive selection as the NEWMAC Offensive Player of the Week, Ouimette was named to the D3hoops.com Team of the Week on Tuesday after averaging 20.0 points, 16.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists in wins over UMass Dartmouth and Clark.
• She enters Thursday's contest having reached double figures in scoring in eight straight outings while recording six double-doubles and averaging 16.6 points and 14.0 boards over the last seven games.
STEPPING UP THEIR SCORING
• In four games since December 30, Spellacy is averaging 15.3 points on 50 percent shooting, which includes going 7-of-14 from three-point range.
• Bonifacic has put double figures in six consecutive outings and is averaging 13.8 points and 8.5 rebounds while shooting 53.8 percent during this stretch.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are 10-1 this season when scoring at least 60 points.