Cross Country at the Maine State Invitational
Saturday, September 15 | 1:30 p.m. (women)/ 2:30 (men)
Pickard Field Cross Country Course | Brunswick, Maine
• The Babson men's and women's cross country teams head to Brunswick, Maine, for the first time since 2011 to compete at the Maine State Invitational.
• The women's 6k race starting at 1:30 p.m., which will be followed by the men's 8k race at 2:30 p.m.
LAST TIME AT BOWDOIN
• Charlotte Margel '13 led the women's team finishing 47th out of 353 runners with a time of 22:46 on the 6k course at the NCAA New England Regional Championships.
• On the men's side, Mark Gulesian was the Beavers' top finisher, running the course in 27:01 to place 112th.
• The women's team tied for 21st out of 51 teams, while the men finished 20th out of 28 squads overall.
SCOUTING THE BABSON WOMEN
• The Beavers finished 17th overall on the 5k course at the UMass-Dartmouth Invitational back on September 15.
• Junior Stephanie Rodriguez made her season debut running 19:54 to place 56th as the Beavers top finisher, first-year Hannah Piispanen (20:11) came in 79th, and sophomore Emma Cavanaugh posted a season-best time of 20:36.
• First-year Alida Beste (21:07) and classmate Amanda Karch (21:31), who competed in the sub varsity race, both recorded their top career times at UMass Dartmouth.
• Babson returns nine harriers from the 2017 season, led by Rodriguez, who finished 24th at last year's league meet.
SCOUTING THE BABSON MEN
• The Green and White placed 18th overall on the 8k course at the UMass-Dartmouth Invitational two Saturday's ago.
• First-year Collin Regan was the top finisher for the Green and White, running 26:20 to place 42nd. Sophomore Zach Goldberg (27:06), who came in 71st, and junior Samir Arora (27:52 both posted season-best times.
• Following a week off, Babson looks to get senior Matthew Dynan, juniors Nick Virkler and Nando Baumann, and first-year Joseph Marwill and Colin Cianciolo back on the course.
• The Green and White brings back six harriers from last year's squad, highlighted Dynan, who placed fourth at the NEWMAC Championships to earn his second consecutive all-conference award and placed 34th to earn all-region honors at the NCAA New England Championships last November.
FAST TIMES AT UMASS DARTMOUTH
• Regan's time of 26:20 matched the 15th best time in program history on the UMass Dartmouth course.
• Rodriguez recorded the top result by a Babson harrier this season and her time of 19:54 on the 5k course is the 12th best in program history at UMass Dartmouth.
SETTING THE STANDARD
• The men's squad recorded its lowest point total since 1995 at last season's conference championship, while the women's team recorded its best finish since 2011 at both the NEWMAC and regional championships last fall.
BEGINNING TO BUILD
• After opening the season with three races over the first three weeks, the Beavers will compete just twice leading up to the NEWMAC Championships on October 27. Following Saturday's meet, Babson will travel to the Connecticut College Invitational on October 13.