Men's Soccer at New England College
Wednesday, September 26 | 4 p.m.
Don Melander Field | Henniker, N.H.
• Babson and New England College will meet for the eighth time on Wednesday in a series that dates back to 1955. The Beavers are 4-3-0 all-time against the Pilgrims although the sides have met just twice since 1961.
• Junior Chris Czarnecki scored three second-half goals to help the Beavers pull away for a 4-0 win over New England College on September 27, 2017, in Babson Park.
• Junior Youcef Ziad also had a goal and two assists for Babson, while graduate student Dylan Mix made seven saves for the Pilgrims.
LAST NEW ENGLAND COLLEGE WIN
• The Pilgrims defeated Babson, 2-1, on October 7, 1961, in Henniker, N.H.
SCOUTING THE PILGRIMS
• New England College (4-3-1) has won three of its last four games after easing past NVU-Lyndon on Monday night.
• Senior Cooper Valinski had two goals and the Pilgrims scored three times in just over 16 minutes midway through the first half to break the match open.
• Valinski (6-3-15) has converted four penalty kicks and has scored in five consecutive matches, while seniors Vasili Vakalfotis (3-0-6) and Owen Lloyd (2-1-5) have each tallied one game-winning goal on the year.
• Mix and sophomore Robbie Ferguson have combined to post a 1.82 goals against average and a .712 save percentage over the first eight contests.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (3-1-3) bounced back from its first loss of the year by defeating Springfield, 2-1, on Saturday afternoon.
• Czarnecki scored in the first half and first-year Liam Hanlon headed home a free kick for his first career goal in the 79th minute for the Beavers, who got four saves from junior Steven Heintzelman.
• First-year Mitchell Collins (1-2-4) leads the team in scoring, while the trio of Czarnecki (1-1-3), Hanlon (1-1-3) and senior Noah Parker (0-3-3) have combined for two goals and five assists.
• Heintzelman has posted a 0.65 goals against average and a .886 save percentage to go along with three clean sheets in seven starts this fall.
FRIENDS BECOME FOES
• New England College head coach served as an assistant coach for Jon Anderson '75 from 1999-2002.
• Current Babson assistants Bill Lawler '98 and Bob Muscaro '86 also worked as assistants with DeCew during his time on Anderson's staff.
TIP OF THE CAP
• Czarnecki's hat trick in last season's meeting against New England College was the first for a Babson player since Eric Anderson '13, the program's all-time leading scorer, put away three goals in a 5-0 victory over Clark on September 22, 2012.
SPREADING OUT THE SCORING
• The Green and White has had eight different players score each of its eight goals through seven games this season.
THE SETUP MAN
• Parker, who set up both goals in Saturday's win over Springfield, is tied for 20th place on the program's all-time list with 17 career assists.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers, who have scored first in every game excluding a 0-0 draw at Elizabethtown, have trailed for just eight seconds on the year.