Men's Soccer at Dickinson | Fri., Aug. 31 | 5 p.m. | Carlisle, Pa.
Men's Soccer at Elizabethtown | Sat., Sep. 1 | 5:30 p.m. | Elizabethtown, Pa.
• Babson will take on both Dickinson and Elizabethtown for the first time in program history to open the 2018 season.
SCOUTING THE RED DEVILS
• Dickinson (0-0-0) went 11-7-3 last season and made its eighth NCAA Tournament appearance since 2007, falling 3-1 to Emory in the first round.
• The Red Devils return 19 players, which includes four of its top five scorers. Junior Kevin Gilbert led the team with 13 goals and five assists for 31 points, while classmate Brendan McGovern contributed seven goals and two assists for 16 points.
• Junior Frederick Meagher and sophomore John Baney combined to post a 1.42 goals against average and a .732 save percentage in 21 contests last fall.
• Dickinson finished in a tie for third alongside Gettysburg in the Centennial Conference preseason poll.
SCOUTING THE BLUE JAYS
• Elizabethtown (0-0-0) went 10-7-2 last fall and advanced to the Landmark Conference championship game for the third year in a row before falling to 10th-ranked Drew, 3-1.
• The Blue Jays bring back 26 players, which includes four of their top five scorers and eight players that started 13 or more matches. Waso Gilbert led the team with 11 goals and three assists for 25 points, while JD Haaf scored four times and added a team-high four assists for 12 points.
• Brian Gately started 17 matches going 10-6-1 with a 1.18 goals against average, a .733 save percentage and seven clean sheets.
• Elizabethtown, which came in second in the Landmark Conference preseason poll, went just 3-4-2 at home last fall.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (0-0-0) went 9-9-0 overall and tied for sixth place in the NEWMAC last season.
• The Beavers return 16 players, including each of its top six scorers from last year's squad. Juniors Youcef Ziad (8-4-20) and Chris Czarnecki (7-3-17) combined to scored 15 goals, while senior Noah Parker (14 points) led the Green and White with eight assists.
• Juniors Austin Mankouski and Steven Heintzelman combined to record three shutouts in four starts in 2017. Mankouski has allowed just two goals in 452 minutes of action in his career and has three clean sheets in four starts.
• Babson was picked to finish second when the NEWMAC released its preseason poll earlier this week.
• The Green and White is making its first visit to the state of Pennsylvania since suffering a 2015 NCAA Tournament first round loss to Franklin & Marshall. Additionally, the Beavers' match against Elizabethtown on Saturday will be its first against a Landmark Conference foe since taking on Drew back in 2002.
LEGENDS MEET FOR THE FIRST TIME
• When Babson and Elizabethtown hook up on Saturday, it will mark the first time that legendary head coaches Jon Anderson '75 and Skip Roderick bring their sides into battle. Anderson ranks seventh among active Division III head coaches with 390 wins, while Roderick is second owning 526 wins in 35 years with the Blue Jays.
ROAD LESS TRAVELLED
• The Green and White is opening the season with two straight games away from home for the first time since the 2005 campaign. Babson picked up a road win at Wentworth before heading to Oberlin for a pair of matches that season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers went 7-0-0 last season and have gone 53-4-1 dating back to 2012 when scoring two or more goals.