Men's Soccer

3-Time NCAA National Champions | 27 NCAA Tournaments | 12 Conference Championships

Men's Soccer Falls to Eastern Connecticut Late in 2OT, 2-1

Men's Soccer Falls to Eastern Connecticut Late in 2OT, 2-1

WILLIMANTIC, Conn.—Senior Xavier Doran (Hebron, Conn.) converted a penalty kick with 56 seconds to go in the second overtime to help Eastern Connecticut State University edge visiting Babson College, 2-1, in non-conference men's soccer action on Sunday afternoon at Nevers Field.

Babson, which saw its two-game winning streak come to an end, is now 6-6-0 on the year, while Eastern Connecticut State improves to 7-6-0 overall.

Sophomore Youcef Ziad (Holbrook, Mass.) scored and junior Jackson Greenspan (Meriden, N.H.) added an assist for the Beavers. Sophomore goalkeeper Austin Mankouski (Suffield, Conn.) finished with four saves in the loss.

First-year Danny Shayler (Avon, Conn.) scored a goal and senior JD Stearns (Bolton, Conn.) added an assist for the Warriors. Junior Ryan Murphy (Cromwell, Conn.) made a pair of first-half saves, while first-year Kyle Boutot (Tolland, Conn.) stopped three shots over the final 64 minutes to earn his first win of the season.

Eastern Connecticut jumped on top when Shayler took a feed from Stearns and slipped a shot past Mankouski for his first career goal in the 43rd minute. The lead didn't last long as Ziad touched home his own rebound in the 50th minute. Boutot made a sensational save on Ziad's initial shot from point-blank range before he buried the rebound for his team-leading sixth goal of the year.

While Bouton made two impressive stops en route to his first collegiate win in his third appearance, Mankouski made the save of the game when he denied Eastern sophomore Nick Starkowski's (Marlborough, Conn.) header in traffic with a reaction save with 1:46 left in regulation.

Eight minutes after he tied the match, Ziad nearly gave his team the lead but Boutot extended full out with a dive to his left to knock the ball away.

Two of Babson's best chances came two minutes apart in the first half. Murphy saved a point-blank shot by junior Noah Parker (Hampden, Maine) at the left post in the 22nd minute, while sophomore Alex Crompton (Killington, Vt.) sent a low drive inches wide of the right post in the 24th minute.

The sides combined for just two shots over 19-plus minutes of overtime before the Warriors were awarded a penalty kick following a foul on the Beavers inside the box.

The Green and White finished with a 21-9 edge in shots and a 9-3 edge in corner kicks.

Both teams return to action next Saturday as Babson hosts Wheaton a 12 p.m., while Eastern Connecticut State takes on Keene State at 1 p.m.

• The Beavers, who had won four of the last five meetings between the sides prior to Sunday, are 5-5-0 all-time against Eastern Connecticut State.
• Sunday's loss snaps Babson's 13-game unbeaten streak in the month of October. The Green and White also conceded two goals in October for the first time since a 7-2 loss to Williams on October 18, 2015.
• The Green and White had not conceded a first-half goal in seven consecutive matches prior to Sunday dating back to a 2-1 loss at Brandeis on September 9.
• Babson is 0-2-0 this season and 3-3-5 going back to the start of last year in overtime games.