No. 12/13 Men's Ice Hockey at Skidmore
Saturday, February 2 | 4 p.m.
Saratoga City Rink | Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
• Babson and Skidmore will meet for the 40th time on Saturday in a series that dates back to 1999. The Beavers are 32-6-1 all-time against the Thoroughbreds and have won 15 games in the series going back to 2013.
• Sophomore Christian Faggas tied the game at 14:02 of the third period and first-year Matt Wiesner scored the game-winning goal 2:26 into OT as the Beavers defeated Skidmore, 4-3, on November 30, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Sophomores Patrick Flynn and Nick Rosa also scored for Babson, who rallied from three separate one-goal deficits. Sophomore Matt Muzyka had a goal and an assist for the Thoroughbreds, who got 35 saves from junior Brandon Kasel.
LAST SKIDMORE WIN
• Dave Dupuis scored on a power play 3:45 into the second period and Brad Schuler added his ninth goal of the season just over seven minutes later as the Thoroughbreds shut out Babson, 3-0, on February 2, 2013, in Saratoga Springs.
• Ben Freiberg made 21 saves for Skidmore, while Zeke Testa '13 stopped 17 shots for the Beavers.
SCOUTING THE THOROUGHBREDS
• Skidmore (11-9-2, 7-6-2 NEHC) has dropped two straight games after suffering a 4-1 loss to No. 7/9 UMass Boston on Friday night.
• Junior Matt Wolf scored at 17:30 of the third period and Kasel made 30 saves for the Thoroughbreds, who finished 0-for-6 on the power play.
• Muzyka (9-10-19) is producing nearly a point per game in league play, sophomore Brandon Borges (6-12-18) leads the team in assists, and first-year Avery Steele (5-10-15) has scored four times on the power play.
• Kasel is 8-7-1 with a 2.76 goals against average and a .914 save percentage in 17 starts between the pipes.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 12 USCHO.com/No. 13 D3hockey.com Babson (15-5-2, 10-3-2 NEHC) is looking to rebound from a 5-0 loss at No. 14/RV Hobart on Friday night.
• Senior Bryan Botcher made 32 saves for the Beavers, who allowed three goals over the first 8:33 of the second period.
• Rosa (12-13-25) is third in the NEHC in points, first-year Mike Egan (11-13-24) leads all conference rookies in scoring, and Wiesner (14-6-20) has scored 11 times in 15 games against league foes.
• Botcher is 8-3-1 in 12 starts and ranks fourth in the conference in both goals against average (2.23) and save percentage (.920), while classmate Matt Pompa has gone 7-2-1 with a 2.98 GAA and a .911 save percentage in 10 starts.
ROOKIE DUO JOINS EXCLUSIVE GROUP
• Egan and Wiesner are the first Babson rookies to surpass the 20-point mark since Michael Phillips '17, who now plays for the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL, finished with six goals and 16 assists as a first-year in 2013-14.
• Additionally, Egan and Wiener are the program's first duo to produce 20 or more points since the 2006-07 campaign when Jason Schneider '10 (14-12-26) and Shane Farrell '10 (10-15-25) finished second and third, respectively, on the team in scoring.
DEFORGE EARNS NATIONAL HONOR
• Senior Stevie DeForge, who recorded his first career hat trick and produced a career-high four points in last Saturday's 8-3 win over Suffolk, was named to the D3hockey.com Team of the Week on Friday morning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are 10-2-0 following a loss going back to the start of the 2017-18 campaign.