Men's Ice Hockey vs. No. 12/12 Hobart
Saturday, December 1 | 4 p.m.
Babson Skating Center | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Hobart will meet for the 17th time on Saturday in a series that dates back to the 1987-88 season. The Beavers are 10-3-3 all-time against the Statesman and each team won twice and tied twice in four matchups last year.
• Junior Zach Sternbach had a goal and an assist as then-No. 9/10 Hobart defeated Babson, 3-2, in an NEHC Tournament quarterfinal on February 24, 2018, in Geneva, N.Y.
• Senior Matt Brazel and sophomore Nick Rosa both scored over the final 11 minutes of the third period for the Beavers. Senior Jonas Toupal and junior Will Harrison each chipped in with a goal for the Statesmen.
LAST BABSON WIN
• Ryan Gouveia '18 scored at 13:35 of the third period to help the Beavers edge Hobart, 4-3, on January 12, 2018, in Geneva.
• Bobby Hall '18 also scored in the third period for the Beavers, who got first-period tallies form Rosa and first-year Christian Faggas. Junior Lawson MacDougall contributed a goal and an assist for the Statesmen.
SCOUTING THE STATESMEN
• No. 12/12 Hobart (5-3-0, 3-2-0 NEHC) had its modest two-game winning streak snapped in a 4-2 loss at No. 9/9 UMass Boston on Friday night.
• Toupal and Harrison both scored in the second period for the Statesmen, which outshot the Beacons 36-35 but went 0-for-6 on the power play.
• Toupal (8-7-15) is first in the conference in scoring, MacDougall (4-7-11) has six points in five NEHC contests, and Sternbach (1-8-9) is tied for third in the league in assists.
• Junior goaltender Alexander Connal has posted a 3.04 goals against average and a .898 save percentage while going 2-3-0 in five starts.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (8-2-1, 6-0-1 NEHC) halted its two-game losing streak by rallying for a 4-3 OT win over Skidmore on Friday night.
• Faggas tied the game at 14:02 the third period and first-year Matt Wiesner netted the game winner 2:26 into overtime for the Beavers, who outshot the Thoroughbreds 39-22.
• Rosa (8-6-14) ranks second in the conference in scoring, Wiesner (9-3-12) leads the NEHC in goals and first-year Mike Egan (3-8-11) is tied for third in the league in assists.
• Seniors Bryan Botcher and Matt Pompa have combined to post a 2.16 goals against average and a .928 save percentage while splitting time in between the pipes.
• With all 10 NEHC programs having played nearly a third of their league games, the Beavers have dropped just one point in seven outings and are currently in second place at 6-0-1.
• UMass Boston has gone 7-0-0 and with 14 points the Beacons hold a one-point lead over the Green and White. New England College sits third with seven points, while Hobart and Norwich, which have played two less games than the top three teams, are tied for fourth place with six points.
SPREADING OUT THE PRODUCTION
• Four different players scored and six players in all registered an assist in Friday's win over Skidmore.
• Wiesner was the only Babson player to record a multi-point performance, while each of the Beavers' top three forward lines and the top defensive pairing of junior Connor Dahlman and first-year John Corrigan contributed at least two points.
• The Green and White faced three different one-goal deficits on Friday night and for the fourth time this season rallied to win when trailing entering the third period. In three seasons prior to this year, Babson had won a total of just four games when facing a deficit after two periods.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers have won seven times in eight games this season when allowing the first goal of the game.