Men's Ice Hockey vs. New England College
Friday, November 2 | 7 p.m.
Babson Skating Center | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and New England College will meet for the 69th time on Friday night in the conference opener for both teams. The Beavers are 41-21-6 all-time against the Pilgrims and won two of three meetings last season in a series that dates back to 1977.
• Matt McMorrow '18 scored twice and senior Matt Brazel added a goal and an assist as the Beavers defeated New England College, 4-2, on February 10, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Senior goaltender Bryan Botcher finished with 25 saves for the Beavers. Junior Adam Zollner and sophomore Nicholas Rein both scored for the Pilgrims.
LAST NEC WIN
• Senior Mike Whitehair scored the go-ahead goal at 4:51 of the third period as the Pilgrims went on to defeat Babson, 5-3, on January 19, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Classmate Connor Fries and junior William Riise both had a goal and assist for NEC, which got 39 saves from Kyle Shapiro. Charlie Ackerman '18, and Bobby Hall '18 and senior Tommy Munichiello all scored for the Beavers.
SCOUTING THE PILGRIMS
• New England College (1-0-0) opened the season with a 5-4 home win over Fitchburg State last Saturday.
• Nikita Pintusov scored twice on the power play and Patrick DeBlois added a goal and two assists for the Pilgrims, who rallied from a 3-1 second-period deficit.
• Juniors Adam Zollner (8-15-23) and Carlos Fornais (4-17-21) both ranked in the top 10 in the NEHC in assists last winter, while Whitehair (7-12-19) contributed two game-winning goals.
• Junior goaltender Christoffer Sjoo, who finished with a 1.53 goals against average and a .924 save percentage in four games last season, made 20 saves in the Pilgrims' season-opening win.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (1-0-0) began the 2018-19 campaign with a 4-2 win at Saint Anselm last Saturday.
• Sophomore Nick Rosa had two goals and one assist and first-year Mike Egan scored the go-ahead goal early in the third period for the Beavers.
• Rosa (10-8-18) and fellow sophomore Patrick Flynn (1-14-15) combined for 33 points and the top returning scorers for a program that graduated 11 seniors from last year's squad.
• Senior Matt Pompa, who made 37 saves in the season opener, and Botcher combined to post a 2.08 goals against average and a .928 save percentage to go along with three shutouts last winter.
HOME FOR THE LONG HAUL
• Beginning with Friday's night's conference opener against NEC, the Beavers will play nine of their next 11 games inside the friendly confines of the Babson Skating Center.
• The Green and White, which went 8-3-1 at home last season, will begin conference play by hosting four consecutive NEHC foes over the next two weekends.
NEHC RECOGNITION FOR EGAN, ROSA
• Egan, who also contributed an assist in Saturday's win, was selected as the league's rookie of the week. Rosa was named to the NEHC Honor Roll after matching his career with three points.
NEHC COACHES MAKE THEIR PICKS
• Despite posting seven consecutive top-three finishes in the league standings, Babson was picked to come in fourth when the NEHC released its preseasons coaches' poll in late October. The Green and White finished behind Hobart, Norwich and UMass Boston.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are 26-5-4 at home against conference opponents over the last four seasons.