No. 14/14 Baseball vs. MIT
Friday, April 12 | Govoni Field | Babson Park, Mass. | 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 13 | Fran O'Brien Field | Cambridge, Mass. | 12/3 p.m.
• Babson and MIT will meet for a three-game series beginning on Friday afternoon in Babson Park before shifting to Cambridge for a doubleheader on Saturday.
• The Beavers are 51-37-1 all-time against the Engineers in a series that dates back to 1980, and have won seven of nine games between the teams over the last two seasons.
• Senior Brian McHale homered and drove in three runs, while classmate Connor Gill struck out six in a complete-game effort as the top-seeded Beavers defeated fourth-seeded MIT, 7-3, in the opening round of the NEWMAC Tournament on May 4, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Junior Matthew Valente was 3-for-4 with a double and senior Edward Lehr drove in a pair of runs for Babson. Garrett Greenwood doubled and homered as part of a three-hit day for the Engineers.
LAST MIT WIN
• Max Lancaster reached base three times and had three RBI, while Greenwood had two hits and scored four runs to help the Engineers avoid a sweep with an 8-1 win over the Beavers in the series finale on April 14, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Zachary Kopstein allowed just one run on four hits over six innings for MIT. Ryan Arena '18 hit a sixth-inning homer to account for Babson's only run of the game.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• MIT (13-9-1, 5-3 NEWMAC) has dropped two straight games after suffering a 6-2 loss to Clark on Wednesday.
• Sophomore Ethan Rolland had two hits and classmate Andrew Krause and senior Alec Kushner both drove in a run for the Engineers, who were unable to overcome an early 4-0 deficit.
• Junior Matt Johnston is batting .386 with five doubles, six homers and 38 runs batted in, senior Jared Schwait is hitting .365 with eight extra-base hits and 28 runs scored, and Krause checks in at .329 with 10 extra-base hits and 19 RBI.
• Senior Patrick Callahan (3-0) boasts an 0.85 ERA to go along with 28 strikeouts in 31.2 innings, while sophomore Casey Bussone has gone 2-1 with one save, a 2.45 ERA and 29 strikeouts in 33.0 innings on the year.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 14/14 Babson (19-4, 8-2 NEWMAC) has won two straight after defeating UMass Boston, 6-3, on Thursday.
• Sophomore Jack Ward homered, Valente had two hits and six players drove in a run in support of Andrew Garbarini, who improved to 3-0 with the win.
• Junior Jake Oliger is batting .346 with seven doubles, four homers and 24 runs batted in, Lehr is hitting .313 with six doubles and 17 RBI, and senior Eric Jaun enters the weekend with a .307 average to go along with eight extra-base hits and 19 runs batted in.
• Senior Michael Genaro is 3-1 with a 1.42 ERA in five starts, junior Michael Nocchi is 2-1 with a 2.87 ERA and 30 strikeouts in 31.1 innings, and senior Max Tannenbaum has gone 2-0 with five saves in 12 relief appearances.
SHUTTING THE DOOR
• The trio of Tannenbaum, junior William Gallagher and sophomore Henry Leake allowed just one hit and retired nine of 10 batters they faced over the final three innings of Wednesday's win at Springfield.
• Overall, the trio has combined to go 3-0 with a 2.14 ERA and 36 strikeouts over 33.2 innings of work out of the bullpen this spring.
REWRITING THE RECORD BOOKS
• Genaro is currently tied with Sam Kilpatrick '97 for first in program history with 21 victories, and enters the weekend needing to pitch just five innings to pass Bill Fitzgerald '03 (223.0 IP) for second place on Babson's career list for innings pitched.
• He also ranks fifth in program history with 142 career strikeouts.
• Valente has reached base safely in 14 consecutive outings.
• Jaun leads the Green and White with nine multi-hit games.
• Oliger, who has driven in two or more runs seven times this spring, leads Babson with 12 two-out RBI and is hitting .444 (12-for-27) with runners in scoring position.
• The Beavers' starting rotation has gone 12-3 with a 2.48 ERA and 97 strikeouts against just 29 walks in 123.1 innings on the year.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are 11-1 this season when giving up five runs or less.