No. 19 Baseball vs. WPI
Tuesday, March 26 | 3:30 p.m.
Govoni Field | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and WPI will meet for the 73rd time on Tuesday in a series that dates back to 1983. The Beavers are 48-24 all-time against the Engineers and swept both regular season matchups last season.
• Six players drove in at least two runs and the Beavers pounded out 24 hits while recording the largest margin of victory in school history with a 26-1 win over WPI on April 5, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Ryan Arena '18 and sophomore Peter Feinman both homered and Mark Webber '18 and senior Eric Jaun finished with two doubles apiece for Babson, which scored in each of the first seven innings. Tyrone Patterson hit a solo homer for the Engineers.
LAST WPI WIN
• Senior Ryan Tropeano and Anthony Capuano both homered and finished with three hits apiece as the Engineers defeated the Beavers, 11-4, on April 17, 2017, in Babson Park.
• Matt Howard also had a home run and Nick Comei added three hits for WPI. Mark Webber '18 hit a three-run homer for Babson.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• WPI (13-4, 0-0 NEWMAC) bounced back after dropping the opener to split Sunday's doubleheader with a 19-10 win over Plymouth State.
• Tropeano had three hits, senior Steven Gallagher reached base six times and junior David Larson doubled and drove in three runs as part of the Engineers' 17-hit attack.
• Gallagher is batting .458 with eight extra-base hits and 19 runs batted in, junior Tyrone Patterson is hitting .429 with 12 extra-base hits, 18 RBI and 25 runs scored, and Tropeano enters the day with a .409 average to go along with five doubles, three triples and 17 RBI.
• Larson is 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA and 23 strikeouts in 21 innings, while senior Doug Rives has gone 3-1 with a 3.68 ERA in four starts.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 19 Babson (9-2, 2-0 NEWMAC) extended its winning streak to eight with a 13-3 victory over Plymouth State on Monday.
• Seniors Edward Lehr and Jaun both had two hits and combined to drive in eight runs during the Beavers' 11-run fifth inning.
• Lehr is batting .415 with six doubles and 14 runs batted in, junior Jake Oliger is hitting .378 with four doubles, 10 walks and 14 RBI, and Jaun is up to .366 with two triples and 11 RBI.
• Senior Michael Genaro is 1-1 with a 1.13 ERA in 24.0 innings, while classmate Max Tannenbaum is 2-0 with two saves and a 1.80 ERA in five relief appearances.
HOME SWEET HOME
• The Beavers have won 25 of their last 26 game at Govoni Field and are 42-12 overall at home going back to the start of the 2016 campaign.
KEEP THE LINE MOVING
• During Monday's 11-run fifth inning, Babson sent 16 men to the plate, recorded nine hits, walked three times, had one hit-batsman and scored two runs on wild pitches.
• The 11-run uprising was one short of the program's single inning record of 12 which has happed three times, most recently against Clark in 2007.
WE'RE GOING STREAKING
• Jaun has hit safely in 10 straight games, McHale has at least one base hit in eight consecutive contests, and Lehr, who leads the Green and White with six multi-hit games, enters Tuesday's outing riding a six-game hitting streak.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are hitting .328 (43-for-131) with runners in scoring position on the year.