BABSON PARK, Mass.—Following a historic campaign that included a school-record 35 wins and a second consecutive NCAA Tournament regional final appearance, several members of the Babson College baseball program have shined in summer leagues both in and out of the region over the last two months.
The Beavers had eight players selected to play in their respective all-star games, which includes rising seniors Michael Genaro (Greenwich, Conn.) and Brian McHale (Ramsey, N.J.), who are two of five players competing in New England's Futures Collegiate Baseball League. As the summer season winds down, here's a look at how members of the program have fared this summer.
• Genaro, who is in his second season with the Bristol Blues, has gone 1-2 with a 3.57 ERA, 35 strikeouts and just five walks in a team-high 45.1 innings pitched. He has tossed one complete game and owns lowest earned run average among the team's starting staff.
• McHale has been one of the top performers for the Pittsfield Suns batting .301 with 13 doubles, one homer, 14 RBI and 21 runs scored. He leads the squad in extra-base hits, run scored and has started a team-high 36 games.
• Joining McHale in Pittsfield is rising junior Michael Nocchi (Manasquan, N.J.), who has gone 1-2 with three saves and a 3.60 in 15 relief appearances. He has recorded 25 strikeouts in 20 innings pitched and has allowed just four earned runs over his last 17.1 innings of work.
• Rising senior Edward Lehr (Byram Township, N.J.) has made 12 appearances out of the bullpen for the Worcester Bravehearts. He has not recorded a decision but owns a 3.52 ERA to go along with 17 strikeouts in 15.1 innings pitched.
• Tyler Bell (Abington, Mass.), who had a .444 on-base percentage at the plate and a 2.63 ERA in 12 innings on the hill for the Al Thomas Athletics of the Yawkey League, recently joined the Brockton Rox. He also was selected to the all-star game for the A's.
New York Collegiate Baseball League
• Rising senior Max Tannenbaum (Coral Springs, Fla.) made the all-star team and has been the top bullpen arm for the Cortland Crush. He made a team-high 21 appearances and went 1-1 with one save, a 2.29 ERA and 28 strikeouts in 31.1 innings.
Central New England Baseball Association
• Rising senior Connor Gill (Sterling, Mass.) has helped lead the Clinton 76ers to the league championship series with strong numbers at the plate and on the hill. He's batting .352 with team highs of 14 extra-base hits, 20 RBI and 26 runs scored, and owns a 2.25 ERA to go along with 28 strikeouts in 18.2 innings pitched.
• Rising junior Charlie Ramsland (Stow, Mass.) has helped the Worcester Ronnie's reach the league semifinals by batting .274 with two doubles, three homers and a team-best 17 runs batted in. He also owns a 2.26 ERA and 33 strikeouts in 34 innings pitched.
• Coming off a strong spring out of the bullpen, rising junior William Gallagher (Kingston, Mass.) made the all-star team and is one of five finalists for Cranberry League Pitcher of the Year. He is 3-1 with a 1.98 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 28.1 innings for the Marshfield Green Harbor Hawks.
• Rising junior Zack Sette (Franklin, Mass.) and rising sophomore Alex Reynolds (Hopkinton, Mass.) are both playing for the Al Thomas Athletics. Sette, who made the all-star team, boasts a 1.75 ERA in seven appearances on the hill. Reynolds, who is also playing for the Milford Post 59 American Legion team, owns a .444 in seven games with the A's.
• Rising junior Jack Theriault (Tewksbury, Mass.) has gone 2-1 with a 3.50 ERA in 10 innings pitched for the Reading Bulldogs.
• Rising junior Hunter Salem (Florence, Mass.) has gone 3-0 with a 2.10 ERA and 18 strikeouts over 20 innings pitched for PeoplesBank. He ranks second in the league in ERA for the regular season league champs.
North Shore League
• Rising sophomore Jack Ward (Danvers, Mass.) has one home run and has driven in six runs in 16 games for the Beverly Recs.
Connecticut Collegiate Baseball League
• Rising junior Aidan Scott (South Glastonbury, Conn.), an all-league selection in the CCBL League last summer, is batting .339 with a .419 OBP for the Glastonbury Arrows. The defending champions are seeded first heading into the league playoffs.
George Donnelly Sunset League.
• Rising sophomore Ben Aleixo (North Smithfield, R.I.) has gone 2-1 over 26.1 innings pitched for Westcott Properties.
Metropolitan Collegiate Baseball League
• Rising junior Matthew Valente (Wyckoff, N.J.) and rising sophomore Ryan Vatcher (Ramsey, N.J.) are teammates for the CP Royals and both made the all-star team in the MCBL. Valente is batting .370 with seven doubles, three triples, three home runs and 36 RBI in 30 games, while Vatcher has gone 4-1 with a 2.93 ERA and 33 strikeouts in 27.2 innings pitched. He also is holding opposing hitters to a .168 batting average and owns a 0.90 WHIP.
Metropolitan Baseball League
• Rising junior Alex DiMartino (Mahwah, N.J.) is batting .340 with six doubles in 19 games for the Allendale Marauders.
West Chester Baseball League
• Rising senior Nicolas Parente (Lincoln University, Pa.) owns a 3.00 ERA in 15 innings of work for the ASBA Crawdads.
Tricounty Baseball League
• Rising senior Nicholas Browne (Mount Laurel, N.J.), who was second on the team with six home runs in the spring, is playing for CHBR/Third Base.
Outside the Region
Tidewater Summer League
• Rising sophomore Peter Feinman (Virginia Beach, Va.) pitched and saw time in the outfield for the Norfolk Voyagers. He batted .333 with 19 walks and a .547 OBP at the plate, and went 2-0 with a 1.90 ERA, a 1.00 WHIP and 15 strikeouts in 14 innings.
Midwest Collegiate League
• Rising sophomore Alex Luka (Downers Grove, Ill.) has gone 5-1 with 4.10 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 28.1 innings pitched for the DuPage County Hounds.
Los Angeles Metro League
• Rising sophomore Henry Leake (Burbank, Calif.) has gone 5-1 with a 2.50 ERA and 46 strikeouts over 28 innings pitched for the Ventura County Pirates.
All stats are through games played on July 25.