NCAA Compliance at Babson College
Director of Athletics
NCAA Rules and Regulations
Babson College is a member of the NCAA Division III. The College is committed to taking institutional responsibility to abide by NCAA rules and regulations. Through the cooperation of administrators, coaches, faculty, student-athletes and representatives of the college's athletic interests, Babson College is dedicated to maintaining control of its athletic programs in a manner that is consistent with the standards set by the NCAA.
Early and frequent education is a key component of assuming the principle of institutional control. This site is maintained to provide important information that all alumni, athletic representatives and fans, as well as current and prospective student-athletes should know.
The information contained on this site is provided to give you a general overview of key NCAA rules and regulations. If you have the need to inquire further, please do not hesitate to direct your questions to the Babson College Compliance Coordinator.
ATHLETICS PAPERWORK FOR VARSITY ATHLETES
Click on the link: Athletics Paperwork for Varsity Athletes. You will need to log on using your Babson username and password. Follow the directions for each form that must be completed.
Note! If you are under 18 years of age when you complete this paperwork, you will be required to mail forms that require a signature from a parent/guardian. Once you log into the link above you will be given instructions for downloading printable versions.
The following forms are included:
- Personal Information Form
- Athletic Consent Form
- NCAA Student-Athlete Statement
- NCAA Drug-Testing Form
- Medical History (managed through Health Services)
*You need to submit a Pre-Participation Physical that is completed by your doctor in your first year (generally freshman year) and third year (generally junior year) as a varsity athlete. This form - Pre-Participation Physical - is provided as a PDF in the Athletics Paperwork link provided above. Pre-participation physical must be within SIX months of your first practice per NCAA guidelines.
Please upload a PDF copy of your Pre-participation Physical to your On-Line Student Health Portal at https://babson.medicatconnect.com/.
Health Insurance Information
You must enroll in or waive the Babson College Health Plan by following these instructions by July 15. If you are waiving the insurance, you must register your own health insurance at this link.
- go to portal.babson.edu
- click on Student Financial Services
- click on View Bill
- click on University Health Plans
Copy of Insurance Card
You must provide a copy of your updated insurance card, both front and back, to the Sports Medicine Office in the Webster Center.
Please upload a PDF copy of your insurance card to your On-Line Student Health Portal at https://babson.medicatconnect.com/.
Sickle Cell trait Testing/Waiver
The NCAA recommends that all NCAA Division III First Year, Transfer, New To the Program and Returning Junior student-athletes have knowledge of their sickle cell trait status.
• Babson College recommends that all student-athletes who are unable to confirm their sickle cell trait status undergo sickle cell trait testing prior to participation in any intercollegiate athlete activity.
• Sickle cell trait testing in the form of a blood test can be done by the student-athlete’s personal primary care physician or by the Babson College Health Center. THIS EXPENSE IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE STUDENT-ATHLETE.
• Frequently Asked Questions about Sickle Cell Testing
• Sickle Cell Educational Video
• NCAA Sickle Cell Website
• Sickle Cell Fact Sheet
Please print this form and complete one of the following two statements:
1. That you have been tested for Sickle Cell Trait
2. You Waive the testing for Sickle Cell Trait (must read Fact Sheet and view Video)
Once completed, please mail back the entire document to:
Director of Sports Medicine
231 Forest St
Wellesley, MA 02457
Must receive the original signed document, no Faxes or e-mails will be accepted
If you take ADHD Medication, please contact our Director of Sports Medicine, Rick Burr, at email@example.com. Click here for the ADHD Memo from the NCAA and the ADHD Sample Evaluation regarding this requirement. For any questions regarding this requirement please ask Rick Burr by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or check out our frequently asked questions about this issue.
If you are interested in transferring to Babson College from your current NCAA Division I or II institution, Babson College will need to receive written permission to contact you from your current institution before our coaches can contact you directly.
If you are interested in transferring to Babson College from your current NCAA Division III, the NCAA grants NCAA Division III Student/Athletes the right to Self-Release for a limited period of time. You must fill out a Permission to Contact: Self Release form and send it Babson College before our coaches can contact you directly.
If you are interested in transferring from Babson College to a NCAA Division I or II institution you are required to contact your current coach and the Compliance Coordinator to grant permission to other institution to contact you.
If you are interested in transferring from Babson College to a NCAA Division III institution, you are highly encourage to contact your current coach about transferring. You must also complete the NCAA's Permission to Contact: Self Release form and send this to the potential institution. This release is good for a limited time period of 30 days. After this you must contact Rick Burr, Compliance Coordinator, to continue contact with the potential institution.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Where can I find the form that I need to give to my doctor? The link to the Pre-Participation Form can be downloaded in PDF form from the Athletics Paperwork main page.
- My physical with my doctor is scheduled after July 15, what should I do? If your physical is scheduled with your doctor after July 15, you can send in the Pre-Participation Physical Form after it is completed. However, you must complete all other paperwork and submit it by July 15.
- Do I need to get the PPE Form completed even if I did one for Health Services? Health Services and Sports Medicine operate separately, so you will need to complete all of the Athletics Paperwork in addition to fulfilling the requests from Health Services.
- Do you allow me to fax my paperwork? No, we do not have fax capabilities that can handle activity that demands an abundant amount of paperwork. You must mail your information, or email as a PDF, to submit it.
- I don't compete until the winter or spring seasons, can I complete it later? All athletes must have their Athletics Paperwork submitted by July 15, no matter when they begin practice during the year.
- How do I know when all of my paperwork has been received by Sports Medicine? Your head coach will be receive updates over the summer and he/she can let you know your status.
- Who should I contact if I experience any injuries or changes in my medical needs over the summer? Please contact Rick Burr at email@example.com with any updates in your health status. The Athletic Trainers are 10-month employees and therefore do not work in Sports Medicine over the summer months. Rick will forward the information to the appropriate team's Athletic Trainer.
- If I am a returning student-athlete, do I need to resubmit my proof of immunization to Health Services? No, this is only required during the first year of enrollment.
- On the Health Services website, do I need to complete both the "general" and the "student-athlete" health history forms? First year student-athletes must complete both forms. Returning student-athletes only need to complete the "student-athlete" health history form.